Monday, January 21, 2008

Ice Fishing!!

Well, this last weekend some friends and I headed out of Seoul to enjoy a quiet weekend, surrounded by little else besides trees, mountains, snow and ice. Or so I thought. Turns out I forgot that I live in Korea, where if one is, a multitude is. This weekend was great- a nice change of pace.

The weekend began with a bus ride to the Hwacheon Sanchero Fish Festival, where I and about 100 other foreigners were given "fishing poles" and a nudge in the right direction. My pals and I successfuly broke a hole in the ice and began diligently fishing- intent on catching lunch. We were soon bombarded by the local media due to our waeguk-ness (foreignness), who in exchange for a fish, asked as to do a comercial. Our fish lines quickly had their fish dangling on them and we proceeded to film a very cheesy, very overacted commercial as we all exclaimed in stupendous 'surprise' at the fish on our lines as we pulled them through the hole in the ice.
Breaking through the ice
The media as they strung our fish.

Check out the fishing pole


Though the rest of our fishing proved unsuccessful, I did manage to catch a fish in the bare-handed fishing event of the festival. I, along with bunch of other dumwits, jumped into a ice cold pool and stared at the edge until I finally wrapped my hands around one of the highly sought after fish. The officiator asked me if I wanted to catch another- I politely declined, as I was not sure I still had legs.

Pre-FrozenMid-Frozen

Post-Frozen with the fish

Anyway the rest of the weekend included a game of ice soccer- which is basically hockey minus the skates and sticks, a giant bonfire, some traditional Korean ice sleddy things and a hike the following morning.

Cute kids on the ridge eating noodles
Hiking

Town we grabbed lunch in on the way home


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.